What do I do with…2021-07-28T17:43:49+00:00

What do I do with…?

Our A-Z guide for responsible recycling and disposal of items.

All of us struggle from time to time with the question of what to do with certain unwanted items. In some cases, you may think the item may be too large to take to the transfer station. In other cases, we think it may be hazardous.

And then there’s the stuff that is just too good to put in the landfill. Isn’t there some way to ensure that it gets reused or recycled?

Whatever the reason, SWAC has created this page to help you figure out what to do with your unwanted materials.

A-Z Guide


Contain solvents and other toxic chemicals. Among glues, the safest choices are white glue, glue sticks, library paste, and yellow glue. Select them whenever possible. If you cannot use up an adhesive yourself, give it to someone who can, or take it to a household hazardous-waste event

Aerosol Cans2021-05-05T20:58:29+00:00

Empty aerosol cans are accepted for recycling at all SWAC transfer stations and recycling centers. Recycle it along with other bottles and cans. Aerosol cans containing hazardous materials such as paint should be disposed of at a household hazardous waste collection event. Please try to use up the products you purchase.

Aluminum Cans, Pie Plates & Foil2021-05-05T18:55:30+00:00

Accepted at all SWAC transfer stations as recycling if clean and dry.

Ammunition, Fireworks & Explosives2021-05-05T20:59:11+00:00

Ammunition, such as bullets and shotgun shells, is not accepted at any SWAC facility. Unwanted ammunition should be discharged safely or taken to a local gun shop. For disposal of large quantities of ammunition, please contact the Vermont State Police at (802) 872-4680.

Animals (deceased)2021-05-05T20:59:51+00:00

There are several ways to dispose of dead animals. Bury or compost the animal on your property. For details, contact the State of Vermont Solid Waste Management Program at (802) 241-3888. Take the animal to a rendering company (only for large animals) or a veterinarian. Contact your local game warden (for road-killed animals). Double bag the animal and bring it to a SWAC Transfer Station or to a privately-operated transfer station.

NOTE: Farmers needing to dispose of large quantities of dead animals should contact the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources: (802) 241-3465. Read ANR’s guidance document for dead animal disposal.

Answering Machines2021-05-05T18:56:02+00:00

Donate or sell if in good condition. Answering machines are also accepted as electronic waste at various locations throughout the county. For more information and to find a location near you, visit https://rutlandcountyswac.org/laws-regulations/electronics-stewardship-law-act-79/


Accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events.


Appliances are banned from landfill disposal in Vermont. Scrap metal businesses accept appliances. Most towns accept appliances at either town transfer stations or special events throughout the year. There may be a fee associated with removing freon from appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, ice makers, and dehumidifiers. There may also be a fee for disposal of other appliances such as washing machines, dryers, furnaces, stoves, microwaves, hot water heaters, and dishwashers. Please contact your town office for information specific to your town. Goodwill accepts working appliances, or you can contact the Steel Recycling Institute to recycle them (800/YES-1-CAN).

Art & Craft Supplies2021-05-05T18:58:01+00:00

Most art supplies are not accepted in recycling. Try using up the materials you have or give to a friend to use. Visit Trash matcher for artistic ideas.


Asbestos waste is not accepted at any of the transfer stations or recycling centers. Asbestos waste may be properly disposed of in a certified landfill in accordance with V.S.A., Title 18, Chapter 26, as well as federal rules and regulations. Information regarding removal of asbestos may be obtained through the Department of Health (toll-free in-state) at 800-439-8500 or 802-863-7220. Information regarding asbestos transportation and disposal can be obtained by contacting the Department of Environmental Conservation, Waste Management Division at 802-241-3888. Currently, non-friable asbestos waste can be accepted at the Rutland County Solid Waste District (RCSWD). Contact RCSWD at 802-775-7209 for specific information. Non-friable asbestos can also be disposed through the following privately operated landfill in Vermont: Waste USA in Coventry – (802) 334-8300. Friable asbestos (crumbly, easily becomes airborne) must be managed by an asbestos abatement contractor. You can obtain a list of abatement contractors from the Vermont Department of Health at the numbers given above.

Asphalt Shingles, Drywall, Construction & Demolition Debris2021-05-28T16:17:28+00:00

Act 175 (Architectural Waste Recycling) makes shingle recycling mandatory in certain instances.

Fair Haven and Rutland town currently collect asphalt shingles and sheetrock as part of their C&D program. RCSWD also accepts asphalt shingles and drywall. Contact RCSWD at 802-775-7209 for a current list of accepted materials and fee structure. The Agency of Natural Resources has submitted its report on Architectural Waste to the Vermont Legislature.

ANR’s Policy on management of asphalt shingles, brick, and concrete.

Fair Haven and Rutland town transfer stations, Hubbard Brothers, and the RCSWD Transfer Station accept drywall as part of their construction and demolition debris collection program. Rutland Town Transfer Station, Hubbard Brothers, and the RCSWD transfer station accept asphalt shingles. Looking to recycle your asphalt shingles and drywall?

EPA released a video on the benefits of deconstruction. Deconstruction gives a second life to used building materials from demolition and renovation projects. It prevents usable materials from going to the landfill, makes building materials available to the community, and supports workforce development. Learn more by watching EPA’s new video “The Benefits of Deconstruction.”


Car donation program benefiting Make-A-Wish® Vermont. They offer a free and easy way to recycle or donate unwanted cars, trucks, motorcycles, SUVs, RVs, or even boats, by turning them into a wish for a local child. We pick-up or tow away cars free of charge, anywhere in Vermont, whether they run or not. Vehicles are either recycled or auctioned off and proceeds benefit Make-A-Wish Vermont.

Visit http://vermont.wheelsforwishes.org/ for information.

Additional information on the Make-A-Wish Vermont website

Cars To Cure Breast Cancer
Accepts donated vehicles and either recycles or auctions them off. Earned proceeds from the sale of the vehicle benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. All donations help to fund breast cancer research so that we can one day see a cure for breast cancer. Visit http://www.carstocurebreastcancer.org/

Car Donations to Veterans

Accepts both working and non-working vehicles to provide assistance to veterans and their families.  Visit https://www.veterancardonations.org/

Bags (paper)2021-05-05T21:00:22+00:00

Paper bags are recyclable at all SWAC transfer stations and are compostable as well.

Bags (plastic)2021-05-05T21:02:08+00:00

Reuse or return back to a store that will accept them. Currently, WalMart, Hannaford, TOPS, Price Chopper, and Staples are accepting. Landfill as a last choice. DO NOT add to household recycling


May contain PCBs. They are considered hazardous and should not be thrown in the landfill. Take to a household hazardous waste event.

Barbed Wire2021-05-05T21:03:01+00:00

Accepted as scrap metal at all SWAC transfer stations.


If more than 80 percent metal, they are accepted as scrap metal at all SWAC transfer stations. If in good condition, consider donating or selling. Landfill as a last resort.


batteries are accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events. Some town transfer stations as well as some town offices are participating in the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (Call2Recycle) battery take-back program. No charge. There are also convenient locations throughout the county. Find a participating location near you. You can also visit our Battery information page for additional information. Lithium batteries can be dangerous if damaged or handled improperly.

This guide will help you to recognize and properly handle them.

Car batteries are not accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Collection events. Many area garages or auto parts stores will accept car batteries.


Contact your local transfer station for current acceptance policies and fees for beds.


If the bicycle is in good condition, consider donating it to Bike Recycle Vermont, a non-profit organization that refurbishes and distributes bikes to Vermonters who could not otherwise afford one. Donations of funds are accepted, but not required. Pick-up service is available for those who cannot transport their bikes. Call (802) 264-9687. Bicycles are also accepted for scrap metal at all SWAC transfer stations.


Accepted at Hazardous Waste Collection Events. Use for its intended purpose. Please do not landfill.


Donate or sell if in good condition. Also accepted as electronic waste at various locations throughout the county.

Blow Dryers2021-05-05T21:07:23+00:00

Donate or sell if in good condition.  Also accepted as electronic waste at various locations throughout the county.


Contact a local marina to see if they need the boat for parts. If your boat is made of metal or aluminum, a local scrap metal recycler may be interested in taking it. Landfill as a last resort.


Decommissioned boilers (gas, oil or wood-fired) may be disposed of at the Rutland County Solid Waste District Gleason road transfer station. These units may contain hazardous materials such as refrigerant, mercury devices, capacitors and ballasts. Once the boiler is inspected and any hazardous materials are removed, it will be recycled as scrap metal. A permit is required for access to this facility and additional fees may apply. Visit www.rcswd.com or call 802-775-7209 for additional information.


Contact your local library or local bookstore to see if they would accept them. Paperback books may be recycled at any transfer station. Books are also accepted at Goodwill. Wet, moldy, or books with mildew must be thrown in the trash.


Plastic bottles #1-#7 may be recycled (with caps on). Glass bottles can be reused or recycled (with caps removed).

Brake Fluid2021-05-05T21:10:37+00:00

Brake fluid is considered a hazardous waste. It should be brought to household hazardous waste collection events.

Bread Machines2021-05-05T21:11:05+00:00

Donate or sell if in good condition. Also accepted as electronic waste at various locations throughout the county.


Contact local contracting businesses to see if they would accept them. Try to resell. Many people are looking for used bricks for do it yourself projects. There are many reuse ideas online for used bricks.

Broken Glass2021-05-05T21:11:57+00:00

Wrap in a paper towel and place in trash. DO NOT put in recycling.

Bubble Wrap2021-05-05T21:12:21+00:00

Reuse. Some local businesses would be happy to accept your wrapping materials for reuse. Place an “ad” on Front Porch Forum.


Makes great garden mulch, if weathered over a year of garden activity it can be added to a compost pile- post on Front Porch Forum to see if neighbors want it. Landfill as a last resort.

Burning Materials2021-05-05T21:13:27+00:00

Thinking of burning something in the backyard? Think again. Go to the State of Vermont Backyard burning webpage for additional information.

Business Hazardous Waste2021-05-05T21:14:10+00:00

Businesses can purchase permits from RCSWD for hazardous waste disposal.


Cardboard is accepted at all SWAC transfer stations. Please make sure it is clean and dry.

Cell Phones2021-05-05T21:15:24+00:00

Cell phones are accepted all SWAC transfer stations as well as most cellular companies. In addition, Verizon Wireless offers a take-back program. Some phones are eligible for a gift card. Phones are donated to Hopeline. You may be able to sell your phone at: http://www.buybackworld.com/sell/cell-phone and additional reuse options include:




Children’s Items2021-05-05T21:15:50+00:00

Reduce the amount of child care products by searching for second-hand items and using cloth diapers. Donate or sell items children have outgrow


SWAC is working with the American Clothing Company, located in Glens Falls, NY, to have clothing collection boxes set up within some of the SWAC towns. The town of Chittenden has a Blue Box (http://blueclothingbox.com/) collection already in progress.
Other locations throughout the county include:

FAIR HAVEN CONCERNED, 73 Main Street, Fair Haven, VT 05743 Telephone (802) 265-3666
Accepts clothing, household goods, and operates a thrift shop

YOUNG AT HEART SENIOR CENTER, 206 Furnace Street, Poultney, VT Telephone (802) 287-9200
Accepts clothing, household goods, and operates a thrift shop.

GOOD WILL, 230 North Main Street, Rutland, VT Telephone (802) 772-4383
Operates thrift stores selling and accepting donations of clothing, furniture and household items at low cost.

OPEN DOOR MISSION, 31 Park Street, Rutland, VT Telephone (802) 524-9695 Accepts clothing, household goods, and operates a thrift shop.

SALVATION ARMY, One Field Avenue, Rutland, VT (802) 775-4827 Accepts clothing, household goods, and operates a thrift shop.

HANDS FOR HOPE FOUNDATION, 155 Main Street, Wallingford, VT (802) 446-6040. Accepts clothing, household goods, and operates a thrift shop.

There are several organizations that accept used clothing and furniture as well as sell good quality, discounted items to customers. Visit http://www.thethriftshopper.com/city/Rutland/VT/1.htm for additional information.

Several local churches also accepted good, used clothing. Contact your local church to see what items they accept.

Computers & Electronics2021-05-06T20:18:26+00:00

Vermont law bans certain electronic devices from disposal in landfills and provides for FREE and convenient collection of these items (computers, printers, monitors, printers, computer peripherals, and televisions from covered entities. Covered entities include consumers, charities, school districts, and small businesses that employ 10 or fewer individuals. Other individuals who bring in seven (7) or fewer devices can also recycle at no charge. All other banned electronic devices other than those mentioned above are also accepted at these locations; however, there may be a fee to dispose of those items. These items include personal electronics (such as personal digital assistants and personal music players (MP3), all telephones including cell phones, answering and fax machines, videocassette records (VCRs), digital versatile disc (DVD) players, digital converter boxes and stereo equipment, power supply cords (used to charge electronic devices), and electronic game consoles.

All SWAC transfer stations accept electronic waste.

More Information

Landfill Ban Poster

Everything You Want to Know About Electronics

Find a Location Near You


Dangerous Materials2021-05-05T21:19:15+00:00

These items are regulated and extremely hazardous to persons handling solid waste: explosives and fireworks, ammunition, gasoline, sharps, syringes, and medical waste, hazardous waste, and propane cylinders are regulated and extremely hazardous to persons handling solid waste. These items should not be disposed of in household trash or recycling.

Drugs – Prescription & Nonprescription2021-05-05T22:15:14+00:00

The Department of Health has set up numerous free drop-off sites and a free mail-back program for unwanted opioids or other prescription drugs.

Find a collection location or request a mail-back envelope.

The Drug Enforcement Association (DEA) sponsors a free national Drug Take-Back day. For additional information, and to find a location near you, visit. https://takebackday.dea.gov

VT Dept. of Health information on year-round prescription drug disposal https://www.healthvermont.gov/alcohol-drugs/services/prescription-drug-disposal

  • Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products as Pollutants (PPCPs) refers, in general, to any product used by individuals for personal health or cosmetic reasons or used by agribusiness to enhance growth or health of livestock. PPCPs comprise a diverse collection of thousands of chemical substances, including prescription and over-the-counter therapeutic drugs, veterinary drugs, fragrances, and cosmetics. Studies have shown that pharmaceuticals are present in our nation’s water bodies. Further research suggests that certain drugs may cause ecological harm. The EPA is investigating this topic and developing strategies to help protect the health of both the environment and the public. PPCPs have probably been present in water and the environment for as long as humans have been using them. The drugs that we take are not entirely absorbed by our bodies, and are excreted and passed into wastewater and surface water. With advances in technology that improved the ability to detect and quantify these chemicals, we can now begin to identify what effects, if any, these chemicals have on human and environmental health. In most cases, unwanted prescription medication should be placed in the trash. There are three exceptions:
  • Head lice shampoo – accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Events. No fee for SWAC residents. Chemotherapy drugs – return to pharmacy or cancer clinic.  Anti-neoplastic medicine – return to pharmacy or cancer clinic.

         NOTE: Please do not flush unwanted medication down the drain. It may disrupt your septic system or the water treatment facility New guidelines are now available.

  • Two Communities Hosting Drug DropBox – The Castleton and Fair Haven Police Departments now have a permanent place for residents to safely dispose of unused or unwanted prescription medication. The Rutland Area Prevention Coalition announced Wednesday the installation of two new permanent prescription drug drop boxes. The green MedReturn boxes accept any prescription including narcotics, although neither liquids nor sharps can be accepted, according to a news release. At the Castleton Police Station on Route 30, the MedReturn box can be accessed from 7:00 a.m.- 2:00 a.m., seven days a week.  At the Fair Haven Police Department on North Park Place, the MedReturn box can be accessed from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. This makes four such sites in the county. Two are in Rutland city — one at Rutland Pharmacy and the other at the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department.
  • CVS Pharmacy – Do you have expired or unused prescription medications in your medicine cabinet? You might even have bottles stacked behind other bottles, taking up space and creating danger. Your first instinct may be to toss the old drugs in the trash or flush them down the toilet, but there is a safer way to get rid of your unwanted medications. Find out how to safely dispose of your products here.
  • Walgreens Leads Fight Against Drug Abuse with New Programs to Help Curb Misuse of Medications and the Rise in Overdose DeathsRead more here.
Fire Extinguishers2021-05-05T21:21:35+00:00

Some fire extinguishers can be refilled. Contact your retailer or the manufacturer to learn more about this option. Unwanted extinguishers can be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events.

Flourescent Lamps2021-05-06T20:39:32+00:00

Find a location to drop off fluorescent bulbs near you here https://www.lamprecycle.org/vermont/

Did you know that a 60-watt incandescent bulb and a 14-watt compact fluorescent bulb provide the same amount of light? However, a fluorescent bulb’s life expectancy is approximately 12,000 hours versus an incandescent bulb’s 1,000 hours? Fluorescent bulbs use less electricity costing less to run as well as resulting in less air pollution from coal burning power plants.
Vermont’s statute governing the collection and recycling of mercury-containing lamps (the Act) was signed into law by Governor Peter Shumlin in May 2011. Under § 7152 of the Act, manufacturers of mercury-containing lamps are prohibited from selling a mercury-containing lamp unless they are implementing an approved collection plan, pay a fee to the state, are listed on the Vermont Agency for Natural Resources (ANR) web fluorescent bulbsite as covered by an approved plan, and meet several other requirements. This prohibition became effective July 1, 2012.

Retailers that sell mercury-containing lamps and any municipality are eligible to participate in the program as a collection site.

These collection sites are available throughout the state for “covered entities” to dispose of eligible mercury-containing lamps at no charge.

The Act defines a “covered entity” as “any person who presents to a collection facility that is included in an approved plan: (A) Any number of compact fluorescent mercury-containing lamps; or (B) 10 or fewer mercury-containing lamps that are not compact fluorescent lamps.”

More Information

Food Waste2021-05-05T21:30:09+00:00

It is estimated that over 30% of the United States food supply is wasted. In 2010 an estimated 133 billion pounds of food never was eaten.

Food loss and waste have far-reaching impacts on food security, resource conservation, and climate change. Food loss and waste is the single largest component of disposed of U.S. municipal solid waste and accounts for a significant portion of U.S. methane emissions. Landfills are the third-largest source of methane in the United States. Furthermore, experts have projected that reducing food losses by just 15 percent would provide enough food for more than 25 million Americans every year, helping to sharply reduce incidences of food insecurity for millions.

“Let’s feed people, not landfills. By reducing wasted food in landfills, we cut harmful methane emissions that fuel climate change, conserve our natural resources, and protect our planet for future generations” said EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy.

Food waste is banned from landfills beginning July 1, 2020. Check out the Agency of Natural Resources Food Donation in Vermont and our Food Waste page for helpful suggestions on how to manage yours.

Food Shelves locations 


Gasoline is considered a hazardous waste. Please dispose of at household hazardous waste events.

Glass Bottles & Jars2021-05-05T21:32:24+00:00

Glass Bottles and Jars are accepted at all SWAC transfer stations as part of recycling collections.

Household Hazardous Waste2021-05-06T20:23:15+00:00

Household hazardous waste is considered leftover household products that can catch fire, react, or explode under certain circumstances, or that are corrosive or toxic as household hazardous waste. These products may be labeled with “caution, toxic, danger, hazard, warning, poisonous, reactive, corrosive, or flammable”. Products, such as paints, cleaners, oils, batteries, and pesticides can contain hazardous ingredients and require special care when you dispose of them. These products are accepted at SWAC’s household hazardous waste events. Please see the home page for dates and locations. Any SWAC resident can attend any of the collection events. Residents are not charged at the events. Each town contributes to the cost of the hazardous waste collections. Permits can also be purchased at the RCSWD Transfer Station for year-round drop-off hazardous waste.

More Information

Hazardous Waste Information

Leaf, Yard & Clean Wood2021-05-07T22:18:33+00:00

Effective July 1, 2015, all permitted solid waste facilities must offer leaf and yard debris collection. Leaf and yard debris consists of branches, limbs, logs, leaves, grass clippings, brush, clean untreated, and unpainted wood. All SWAC transfer stations collect leaf and yard debris. See your towns’ page for additional information.

Rutland County Solid Waste District transfer station on Gleason Road in Rutland also accepts leaf and yard debris for a fee.

The Vermont Invasives Species Management Team would like to hear how you’re managing yard waste/wood debris in your area to collaboratively work towards their goal of no new infestations.

https://fpr.vermont.gov/sites/fpr/files/Quarantine_WatchListUpdate-2017_November.pdf (this is the formal list under the rule, and the second page is the informal (unregulated) watch list)

Contact Info:

Judy Rosovsky: judy.rosovsky@vermont.gov, work cell 802-279-2212

Elizabeth Spinney, Invasive Plant Coordinator

Vermont Department of Forests, Parks & Recreation

elizabeth.spinney@vermont.gov, (802) 477-2134

Medical Waste – Sharps & Syringes2021-05-06T20:29:50+00:00

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently launched a website on the safe disposal of medical sharps after home use intended for patients and caregivers. The website illustrates the public health risks of medical sharps and offers recommendations for safe home disposal. According to the press release, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that more than 3 billion needles and other sharps are used in homes in the United States each year. The Agency of Natural Resources has also created a webpage specifically to address the proper guidelines for disposing of sharps.

Residents with medical wastes should take the following precautions:

Sharps should be placed in a hard plastic, opaque container, such as a detergent bottle. Sharps are NOT classified as a hazardous waste, but special precautions should be taken to ensure safe handling. See “Sharps” above
Containers may be placed in the regular household trash

All other medical waste, such as bandages, dressings, etc., should be placed in a separate container and disposed of in the regular household trash.
Refer to the Vermont Department of Health Guide on Safe Needle Disposal in Vermont which includes a demo video, a toolkit for communities, case studies, and more.

“Safe Needle Disposal: What should I do?” Decision Tree (for residents and health care professionals)

Sample “Do Not Recycle” label to tape to disposal containers. Printing on colored paper makes the label more eye-catching.

What To Do With A Found Needle

Businesses and Institutions
Businesses and institutions with medical waste need to have additional procedures. Waste generated in the medical industry consists of a wide variety of materials. Although a vast majority is considered regular solid waste, a small percentage of the waste requires special handling and treatment prior to disposal in order to protect public health, safety, and the environment. For more information on regulated medical waste, visit the Agency of Natural Resources review Vermont’s Regulated Medical Waste Procedure.

Businesses and institutions that need assistance may the Agency of Natural Resources at 802-828-1138.

Mercury Found During Demolition2021-05-05T22:04:39+00:00

Mercury can be found in various devices in residential buildings. When a mercury-containing product breaks and the mercury is spilled, the exposed mercury can evaporate and become an invisible, odorless toxic vapor. To prevent mercury releases, these products should be used and stored safely, and managed properly at the end of their useful lives. This fact sheet specifically addresses pre-demolition removal of mercury-containing gas pressure regulators, mercury-containing boiler heating systems, and thermostats. For information on proper removal and management of other mercury-containing products in homes, go to www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/tsd/mercury/con-prod.htm and http://www.mercvt.org/.

Mercury-Containing Devices2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

Mercury thermostats are considered a hazardous waste and are banned from disposal in Vermont landfills. For more information regarding mercury thermostats, please go to https://dec.vermont.gov/waste-management/solid/product-stewardship/mercury/proper-disposal.

Mercury thermostats are accepted at SWAC’s household hazardous waste events. They may be taken to the Rutland County Solid Waste District Hazardous Waste Depot on Gleason Road in Rutland and disposed of for a permit fee. Call 802-775-7209 for additional information.

Mercury and mercury-containing devices (thermometers, switches, relays, neon lights, and thermostats) are accepted at all household hazardous waste events.


Paint (oil and latex), Stains, Varnishes, and Thinners are collected for free throughout the area. Visit www.paintcare.org or find a facility nearest you. Unwanted paint will still be accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Events. No fee for SWAC residents.

NOTE: Small quantities of latex paint (one quart or less) may be solidified and discarded as trash. Remove the lid and allow the paint to dry OR add kitty litter to speed up the process.

Paper – Mixed2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

Mixed paper is accepted at all SWAC transfer stations as part of recycling collection.

Plastic Containers2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

#1 (PET) and #2 (HDPE) plastic containers are accepted at all SWAC transfer stations as part of recycling collection. Some transfer stations may accept more than #1 and #2. Please check with your transfer station attendant. Looking for ways to cut back on your plastic usage – check out our Pinterest page for lots of great ideas!

Prescription & Nonprescription Medications2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

See Drugs

Printers & Toner Cartridges2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

Some printer and toner cartridges manufacturers offer take-back programs for their cartridges. Some can be refilled. To learn more about this option, contact the manufacturer.

Propane Containers2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

Empty propane cylinders can oftentimes be refilled. Swap an empty tank out for a full one at participating retailers. Propane cylinders are also accepted at all hazardous waste events.

Storm Debris2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

Styrofoam and/or foam packaging is not accepted for recycling at any SWAC facility. At these facilities, styrofoam should be discarded as trash. Styrofoam packaging peanuts are accepted at no charge at a variety of local businesses for reuse. Foam packing: Your local pack-and-ship store may accept foam peanuts for reuse.


As of February 17, 2009, television stations stopped broadcasting analog signals over the airwaves and switched over to digital signals. This meant many old televisions are obsolete and consumers had to purchase a digital set-top converter box or a brand new TV in order to get over the airways reception.
Effective January 1, 2011, Vermont enacted legislation implementing a landfill ban on most electronic products and effective July 1, 2011, requires manufacturers to take responsibility for paying for recycling of some of these products. Televisions, computers, monitors, printers, and peripherals are required to be collected for FREE from anyone with seven (7) or fewer covered items.

Unwanted televisions and other electronics can be recycled through the Electronics Collection Program at SWAC recycling facilities/transfer stations. Contact your town office for further information.


Mercury thermostats are considered a hazardous waste and are banned from disposal in Vermont landfills. For more information regarding mercury thermostats, please go to https://dec.vermont.gov/waste-management/solid/product-stewardship/mercury/proper-disposal.

Mercury thermostats are accepted at SWAC’s household hazardous waste events. They may be taken to the Rutland County Solid Waste District Hazardous Waste Depot on Gleason Road in Rutland and disposed of for a permit fee. Call 802-775-7209 for additional information.

Transmission Fluid2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

Transmission fluid is considered a hazardous waste and may not be thrown in the trash. Transmission fluid should be taken to a household hazardous waste collection event.

Used Motor Oil2021-05-07T22:27:39+00:00

Used motor oil is accepted at many local retailers in the area. Used oil filters are accepted at all Household Hazardous Waste Events. At the events, there is no charge for SWAC residents.

Free Used Oil Collection Locations

Wood Debris in the Water2021-05-07T22:27:38+00:00

A guideline for water to do with wood debris in water, storm-damaged trees, and Guidance for Agency of Natural Resources authorization of post-flood river work.
Check out this great site for recycling and reusing – Real Estate Resources: A Guide to Recycling” – http://sanibelrealestateguide.com/recycling/


Go to Top